Monday, December 21, 2009

The true spirit

I would like to think of myself as a generous person. Generous of my time and energy; in work, friendships, commitment to new things. But how generous am I really? Not very. I mean, I used to be, but as I came into the adult work lifestyle out of college, my reality overcame my ideals. Ideals of charity and social good. Political awareness and action. Standing by my convictions. Admitted, things are a bit of a fog these days. I am so lost in the daily grind and my own selfish needs that I do not listen to that part of me any more. I also don't really see things...poverty, suffering..I can get caught up in my life.

However, I do not like false kindness and seasonal charity. Even more than this, I want to slap people who think that they have a right to tell others how to live their life, even though they are the most selfish, self-absorbed, non-charitable people that I know. There is a saying that goes something like " people who quarrel and fight have the most to fear.Well something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment