Sunday, December 13, 2009

Chrismakus


I wish I could make up a holiday where it was against my beliefs to shop and eat and do all the crazy things that seem to come this time of year. I want to rewrite the way I celebrate. Of course, this is probably easy for me because we don't have kids yet. I mean, our biggest debate this afternoon was whether or not to buy a tree- Kevin has already bought me my gift, and my gift to him will be picked up by the end of this week. Aside from that, it seems that things get simpler in our own personal celebrations. It gets a bit more complicated outside of the two of us.

Both families want us at their place for Christmas, and neither of us are very enthusiastic about consuming a weeks worth of calories on one day. It seems that you cannot leave your house without being bombarded with Christmas music, stressed out people, and images and ideas of what "celebrations" should look like. It is a load of crap- of course, I may just be a bit more cynical than usual this year.

Ever since I was a little girl, I didn't like Christmas. I wanted something more meaningful, but not necessarily religious in nature. Today, my idea of a great Christmas would be to go away or hole up in a cottage somewhere and enjoy reading, painting, nature, and those I love. Is this too much to ask? Hoping that this someday comes true.

No comments:

Post a Comment