Saturday, January 30, 2010

Live Life Like the kid you were, not the adult you are....


It sounds cliche, but it is true that "all you know you learn in kindergarten". In working with children I see strong personality traits develop early on. Some developmental theorists state that the large majority of our social self develops in early childhood. I often think of this when I get bogged down by the daily grind and lifetime of varied programming fed by teachers, adults, and other influences that take me away from the true self. I ask "How could I have lived this day with more honesty?"The child in me would have been full of joy, wonder, and open eyes to each experience. Sometimes, this feels like the most impossible thing to do....

When you watch a child play and interact with another, it is pure and honest. I would love to have this level of comfort in my dealings with people....Sometimes I do, but often my relationships are based on views of myself in comparison to others. Children "Do" sometimes to a fault, with not consideration of the consequences. But if we are to extract this way of being, it could be very helpful for dealings in the adult world.

We grow up and all the challenges and responsibilities overcome our true selves. We worry about what we say and how things look. We often censor and dull out our true desires and passions in favor of some "status quo". (Seriously, who outlined this "status quo"?) Is this the inevitable conclusion of all humans as they age? What if being a fully realized adult meant living with these things while simultaneously reconnecting with what we were in essence when we were children? I'm still seeking a life that is both in the moment and able to handle the pressures of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment